24 July 2008

Editorial - Ketchikan Daily News


I usually shy away from political discussions in the blog. Politics is one thing that Chet and I have learned to agree to disagree on. I'm a registered Libertarian. I know that most of my extended family are Republican or at least vote that way. I'm including the editorial from our local paper. I hope you learn something.-Liz


Gotcha!
Do as I say; not as I do.
Republican presidential candidate Sen. John McCain, in a speech earlier this week, criticized his opponent, Democrat Barack Obama, for waiting until now - after six years in the U.S. Senate and two years into a national campaign - to visit the Middle East where American troops have been fighting for seven years.
McCain has made trips to Iraq and Afghanistan in his role as a U.S. senator. He has visited officials and the troops; he has prayed for two sons who serve in the armed forces, and he's supported the nation's effort to defeat the Taliban and other terrorists.
He told the crowd gathered to listen to his campaign speech that Obama formed an opinion against the U.S. effort in Iraq and Afghanistan before he went to see what it was all about.
Then McCain says - seriously and with a straight face - he makes it a practice to visit places before forming an opinion.
Gotcha.
Does anyone remember Sen. McCain visiting Ketchikan before he rejected the idea of a bridge from Revilla to Gravina islands? He has been hammering that idea in almost every campaign speech he makes.
There's also ANWR, and the opening of the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge to oil development. McCain opposes that, but has anyone seen candidate McCain step foot in Alaska or the refuge?
Before anyone gets the idea that only Republicans tend to exaggerate during a campaign, listen also to what Obama has to say.
Obama voted against sending the armed forces into the Middle East, and early in his campaign said he opposed the war. But the ground underneath him is shifting sand.
Obama now wants to investigate the situation, and as the possibility that he will become president and will in fact have to make a decision in regard to the war on terror, he's decided to more closely examine the "whys" and "why nots." It's becoming real, not just talk on a campaign trail.
He has stated he will fight the war on terror "with vigor," and he's indicated to his supporters, much to their chagrin, that he might have to soften his hard line against maintaining troops in Iraq and Afghanistan - especially after visiting in the Middle East.
Both candidates should visit Alaska next, and talk with us about our projects before taking hard stands against them. They just might learn that the projects will benefit the nation and its people.

4 comments:

Carrie and Karl said...

I'm glad Obama went there and is softening on his leaving Iraq stand. From what I know it would be a mess to do that.
I think politicians should make it a practice to only vote and make bills about things that they really know about, but that would seriously curtail some of the laws...
Good to know you guys are doing well.
Carrie

Mike Hugo said...

I think Obama and McCain are both idiots.

It looks like I might have to vote for my favorite "write in" candidate who I know can do at least as good as either of these two yokels. Alfred E. Newman, you're getting my vote again.

Della Hill said...

Ditto to what Mike said.
My only hope for this year's election is that Romney will sign on as McCains running mate.
Other wise, when I go the the polls this November, I may end up vomiting all over my ballot.
-Della

Erin Bingham said...

Who do you vote for, when neither one is a good option?

A Tribute to Rain


Creek Street

Creek Street
Famous Creek Street in Ketchikan Alaska